24 - Dornier Do 24T (1945-1951)
|Page 1 (1)|
|Photo provided by Mikael Knapp, son of the late Sven Gunnar Knapp|
the end of 1944, a German Dornier Do 24 flying boat landed at coast of Blekinge in the southern Sweden.
It carried the Luftwaffe markings CM+RY and was nearly new from
the manufacturer. The Do 24 belonged to the sea rescue service in the
Baltic Sea. Pilot was a German flight mechanic who, together with an
Estonian woman, had fled from the chaos in the disintegrating German
Swedish Air Force bought the aircraft from the German authorities. CVV
(the Central Workshop of the Air Force at Västerås) made an overhaul
of the aircraft and painted and marked it in Swedish colours. In May
1945, it was provided to the Wing F 2 at Hägernäs close to Stockholm
as an air/sea rescue aircraft. The aircraft got the designation Tp
24 and the Air Force number 3343.
the Air Force got three Catalinas (Tp 47) as SAR (Search And Rescue)
aircraft in 1947, the Tp 24 was mostly used for reconnaissance duties.
In 1951 it was written off and scrapped by CVV.
Tp 24 was powered by three 9-cylinder BMW Bramo Fafnir 323 engines of 1.150
hp each. The aircraft carried no armament.
German pilot was employed by the Swedish Air Force as an instructor.
model of Tp
-see below). Note that the
upper surfaces of the Tp 24 are painted dark black-green (”Submarine
Paint”). This colour was used for some years by Wing F 2 instead of
the standard Air Force olive green. In the end of its service, the Tp 24
got the paint removed and flown in bare metal.
Length: 21,9 m. Span: 27,0 m. Height: 5,75 m. MTOW: 18.400 kg. Max. speed: 340 km/h.
For the Model Builder
|Advertisement - Handbuch der Luftfahrt Jahrgang 1937-38|
© Lars Henriksson